I’ve always eschewed groups, memberships, and the like. I’ve yet to find one that entirely meets my own way of thinking. Too, when one volunteers you always see that only 1% is doing the actual work while the other 99% are getting credit. I’ve been that 1% before.
So when I saw LG’s commentary, I had to nod my head and grimace. It is me and mine, my friends. Me and mine first. And only then maybe I could consider others.
I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately – how wise is it to associate with people who are “grouping” and getting rather a lot of attention – desired and un-. The more I consider it, the more I believe that being self-sufficient and willing to stand alone may be the only way to deal with the coming storm.
Of course, my mind tries to move the detritus out of the way and find that bit of synapse that remembers “The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress“. Heinlein has always been a favorite and that book, when I read it (at perhaps 13 or 14 yrs) had quite the impact. Ah, so that’s how revolution happens. I think now that it might be a very fine instruction manual for how to proceed. Time to pick it up again and review the concepts…
One watches the almost complete madness of a man on the verge of nervous collapse and yet entirely in charge of this beast and it makes my gorge rise. I don’t think he had any idea just what he was getting in to – the extent to which he was used – and the levels of perfidy necessary to remain where he is without confrontation. He knows, clearly, that he must get his own boots on the ground and soon. He knows – or has been told – that the only way to keep the reins in future is to educate the very young in the manner of their choosing. And he knows that if more companies start losing money that they will question what he can offer them and remove him. Thus, the instant insinuation of gov’t into private business.
It is as though the attacks from different angles on his control are being fended off with yet another intrusive gov’t writ. Their only real problem? The net. Oh, they’ve the media all wrapped up. But the net and its free speech? It’s a terrible problem with few solutions. And if you think this electronic freedom will last you are mad. It will be the very next thing they’ll feint at – testing the waters here and there to see what draws your greatest attention and refutation.
Will it be a tax on bandwidth? Or just, as we are already seeing, a set of searches being edited, admins adding sites to the banned list based on naught but their preference and marching orders? And, of course, this is all a very handy way to find those you really need to shut up. Fast. Think audits can’t be had with a phone call? Licenses pulled? Cases drummed up?
I’ve been fighting this sort of thinking for months, now. I’ve been telling myself to just go through the days and deal. But as things move at an incredible pace I know it is just a matter of time. Archive, I tell myself. Print, file and keep for posterity. Hell, I’ve a small stack of paper to take in case of emergency – history books, and the like. Like the books that a man shoved into a septic tank in Pournelle/Niven’s “Lucifer’s Hammer“, I consider it a sort of…survival library. Because your Kindle isn’t going to last that long in the field. If only they still made those small thin-paged books as they did during WWII…I’ve only one of them in my library – Isak Dinesen, of course. “Winter’s Tales”. And yes, she’ll be properly protected and placed in that box.
Oh, how I wish there was some bright lining. I wish Texas would take it upon itself to be the first to step away from the table…to say they’ve had enough, thanks, and we’ll see how we do on our own…
Wouldn’t that be an amazing start?
Against that day, I continue to make plans, consolidate, and consider.